Sunday, November 06, 2011

Hauling Sunday LXII

And another week has gone by. Not much we can do about it, right? LOL. At least, this week was good :) My boss was out sick - very unfortunate for him, but that meant I had a light workload. Didn't have the chance to play hooky though :P Instead, I worked on catching up on things like the samples inventory and thawing the freezer. Not very fun things, but things I can never get around to when my boss is around.

Then, I went ahead and had fun with books :) First, there was a 31% off at Harlequin for Halloween. Li has been on a Kelly Hunter binge. I read a couple of her books a while ago and really enjoyed it... but somehow, she slipped off my radar. When Ames told me about the special at Harlequin, I was determined to put her back on the radar :)


Her Singapore Fling by Kelly Hunter - This is the last book of the Bennetts series and the one the blurb attracted me most, so that's why I got it :)

The Man She Loves to Hate by Kelly Hunter - I was looking at the reviews on Goodreads and Jane for Dear Author mentioned how the setting of this book is quite similar to After the Night by Linda Howard which is a book I really, really, really enjoyed :) So it was a no-brainer that if I was going to re-discover Ms Hunter, I was getting this book :)

Playboy Boss; Live-In Mistress by Kelly Hunter - I liked the blurb of this book. Seemed like my kind of book :)

Always the Bridesmaid by Nina Harrington - There was a review not long ago on Dear Author that caught my attention. I've been keeping this book in mind ever since and this was the perfect occasion to get it :)

Then, I received a book that I've pre-ordered a while ago...


The Next Always by Nora Roberts - Quite a no-brainer for me. I love Ms Roberts' writing and even though the reviews have been so-so, I was happy to get my copy and proceeded to read it :) I have to say , the cover is pretty, but I think it's even better when you're holding it :)

Finally, I went to the bookstore. The 20% off coupon was still valid and so, I went to get the books released on November 1st :)




The Comforts of Home by Jodi Thomas - I'm loving Ms Thomas' Harmony series and was really glad to get my hand on the newest one! I probably sound like a broken record, but there is something special about Ms Thomas' writing. I also like the fact that Ms Thomas' characters are really different than what I'm used to :)

Heart of Darkness by Lauren Dane - By now, you all know my weakness for witches and wizards, right? :) So that's one reason I picked up this book. Another is I've been wanting to give her a serious try. I have some of her Brown Siblings books... unfortunately, they don't really appeal to me ^_^; This one does though.

His Mistress by Christmas by Victoria Alexander - Ms Alexander is my comfort author when it comes to historical romance. There's just something about her writing, characters and books that work for me :) Plus with the 20% off coupon, I didn't hesitate anymore because this was a trade-size book :)

Baby It's Cold Outside by Addision Fox - This book just caught my eyes. I love the cover and on the back, there's an adorable husky puppy!! Of course, the blurb was interesting as well!

The Spy Who Left Me by Gina Robinson - I've never read Ms Robinson, but this book sounded a little absurd and a lot funny :) And lately, I've been in the mood for funny, so this one should be right up my alley :)

And there it is, my haul for this week :) A really nice haul!! Now, technically, this should be it till the end of the month because there's nothing that I want coming out till November 22 at least. However, it turns out that next week-end is Chapters/Indigo Family and Friends week-end, so that means 15% off on everything (plus my 10% iRewards membership). Sigh, why now? Why not at the end of the month or early December?!? Ah well, we'll see how things go ^_^;

What about you? What are your new precious?

20 comments:

  1. Nath, great haul! I need to catch up and read some category romances. I just read the latest by Mayberry, but need to catch up with a few others.

    I also bought the NR book, although I purchased the ebook this time, and read it last week. I still need to get Jodi Thomas' book though.

    I've had my eye on Heart of Darkness by Lauren Dane. That's the beginning of a new series, right? AND The Spy Who Left Me by Robinson looks like fun. I need fun at the moment too. Let me know how it turns out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWesome books!
    I'm really looking forward to The Next Always as I really liked the Bride Quartet, and I don't care if it's so-so, I think I'll like it.

    :) I can't wait to read your reviews on the books you got this week.

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilcia - Thanks Hils :) It was fun to get these books, even though I ran a little bit much for The Spy Who Left Me :)

    How was the Mayberry?

    I think you'll enjoy the Jodi Thomas :) At least, I did... and I can't wait till the next one!

    Right about the Dane, it's book #1. I do hope The Spy Who Left Me will be as funny as I hope ^_^;

    Alex - Thanks Alex :) You had a good haul as well!

    As a rule, I think The Next Always is an enjoyable book. I simply think the bar is always set higher for NR because she's such a good and prolific author...

    Ah reviews... sigh. Well I'll try :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a lot of books! How do you like the Kelly Hunter books? I have to check if I read Nina Harrington before.

    I have the Roberts but haven't read it. Dane is a fave author but I'm not really into witches and wizards so I'll hold off on that series. Maybe. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I just realized that I have read The Man She Loves to Hate. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tabitha - I hope you enjoy the Roberts. I did :)

    I hope to get to the Dane soon.

    What did you think of The Man She Loves to Hate?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun haul, nath!
    I think Leslie just posted a review for a Kelly Hunter book on her blog and I don't think it was one of the ones you list here! Idk, maybe I'm wrong, but I'm too lazy to click back so you'll have to go visit her to find out if I'm right or wrong. LOL. :P

    I am definitely planning on reading the new Nora Roberts trilogy, but will borrow it from the library. I'm with Alex... I'm still going to like it even if it is so-so.

    I was planning on getting the Victoria Alexander book at the NJRWA but she had hardcover copies and I didn't want to spend the money. Maybe I should have.. it sounds good and it's a Christmas romance!

    As per our goodreads discussion, I am planning on getting BABY IT'S COLD OUTSIDE. Adorable cover and the story sounds SO charming. Maybe I'll plan to read that one over Thanksgiving weekend. :)

    ENJOY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - huge haul this week! Lots there that interests me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got Harrington’s book because I also read that review, but I haven’t read it yet… Let me know how you like it!

    I read The Man She Loves To Hate. It has nothing to do with After the Night (one of my all-time favorite romances) except that the heroine’s mother had an affair with the hero’s dad and now the hero kind of hates the heroine because of it, but not really… I think the heroine in this one’s a redhead as well, but I’m not sure… But that’s pretty much it, this one takes place in a ski lodge and the hero didn’t remind me of Grey at all. But it is good, though, just by its own merits, not because it’s similar to Howard’s book.

    I also got The Next Always, I’m a bit weary of it, because Nora’s latest books have been more of a miss than a hit for me, but I can’t help it, I see one of her books and just have to have it! It’s a compulsion, the same with Linda Howard, even though I have hated her latest books…

    ReplyDelete
  10. Christine - Thanks Christine! :) Yes, Leslie has recently reviewed Wife for a Week and the reason why I didn't get it, is because I already have it LOL. You can go to the archive for the review! I enjoyed it :)

    I ended up really enjoying The Next Always, Christine. I know where everyone is coming from, but it was perfect for my mood :)

    The reviews I've read so far for the Victoria Alexander were okay. I don't think it's her best novel, but then I haven't read it yet ^_^; Funny, it's in trade-size in Canada... I have to say, I'm a bit sad she switched publisher...

    Hmmm, I finished Baby it's Cold Outside. It was cute and actually, pretty deep... but I don't know, I wasn't 100% engaged in it... Maybe too much contemporary lately. Anyway, I think you'd enjoy it more than I did though :)

    Lori - LOL, thanks ;) Been a while I had as big a haul! What are you planning to get?

    Brie - I'm reading it right now, so I'll let you know :)

    I just finished The Man She Loves to Hate and you're right. It's quite different than After the Night... but boy, it was good! It had me teary for half the book I think. Loved that the characters talked about their feelings... I'm giving it an A I think :) Or A-...

    LOL, I know what you mean. For what it's worth, I enjoyed this one. It's pretty similar in style to the Bride Quartet books... so if you were so-so about those... you'll probably feel so-so about this one.

    As for Linda Howard... well I finally gave up. Till she gets a wowzer, of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Are you talking about the bear’s POV in her latest book!? Because the pure WTFckery of that moment alone could be enough to make someone quit her books! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brie - Oh no! I actually read that. Wow, okay, that's a new low ^_^; It just came to my attention that I wasn't reading her books anymore. Just no urge to, so decide not to buy them. Last I read was Veil of Night this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great selection Nath. :) I haven't read any of those Kelly Hunter books some I'm interested in seeing what you think.

    I still need to get the Jodi Thomas, hopefully this week.

    I'm listening to NR's newest. It's okay but not much time with h/h together yet. I'm hoping that will change.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Leslie - Yes, I was a happy girl last week :)

    Well only one of them is part of the Bennett family :) The rest are more her stand-alones :) I'll try to review it soon. I can tell you though I really, really liked The Man She Loves to Hate :) Like A-graded like :)

    I hope you enjoy the Jodi Thomas!! :)

    I enjoyed the NR. But seems like I'm in the minority for that one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So I am not the only one who has been glomming Kelly Hunter lately then!

    A couple of weeks ago I read 7 books by her including all the Bennetts books!

    Need to hurry up and read the Mayberry though.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Marg - LOL, should we blame Li? :P

    You enjoyed them though, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am blaming Katydidinoz! I read her review of Wish: A Novella which sent me on my way! I had been meaning to try her for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Marg - Was the novella good? :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good enough to make me want to read more of her work!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Marg - LOL. Seems like I just had a duh moment ^_^;

    ReplyDelete