Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Re-Read: Nothing to Fear by Karen Rose

It's a good thing to make my re-read in time, but it's of no use if I don't manage to write the review! LOL. Read and review, the constant struggle! :)


Nothing to Fear by Karen Rose
published by Grand Central Publishing in August 2005
As director of an inner-city woman's shelter, Dana Dupinsky safeguards many secrets. Some are new identities; some are new addresses; and some are even hidden truths about herself. Passionately dedicated to Hanover House and the women she protects, Dana has always been reluctant to look for love. But now, just as a case puts her and a child in mortal danger, it seems that love has come looking for her.

Security expert Ethan Buchanan learned to stalk men in the Afghan desert. Now he vows to track down the ruthless woman who kidnapped his godson-and falling for Dana is not in the plan. Yet her very presence seems to chase away the ghosts that haunt him, and her skillful evasion of personal questions raises his hunting instincts. For there's a deadly new secret at Hanover House. A brutal killer is weaving a web of revenge with a stolen boy at its center. And Dana is the next victim on the list...

Genre: Romantic Suspense
Series: Book #4

The Story: Okay, I'm not going to try to write my own blurb, because there's a lot of twists in this book and I don't want to give it away. Plus, I think that the book blurb did a good job, at least, giving insight on the H/H - Dana and Ethan :)

My Opinion: I am sure, sure, sure that I've read Nothing to Fear in the past, but honesty? I couldn't remember much of it ^_^; I remember it involved a deaf boy and that's the book Dana and Ethan got together, but that was pretty much it ^_^; It kind of bugged me a little that I couldn't remember much of it after I finished  I Can See You, since it was Evie's story and she had a big role in Nothing to Fear... and after reading Silent Scream, I decided it was time to re-read it... so that's what I did :)

I don't really remember my impressions of Nothing to Fear the first time I read it ^_^; It's no real surprise, since I couldn't remember the storyline either... However, I'm pretty sure I enjoyed it LOL, since I continued reading this series :)

What about this time around? Honestly, I have to say that reading Nothing to Fear was a bit hard for me, because I did not like Dana much ^_^; My view of Dana has been changed and colored with the last couple of books, mainly because I like David Hunter's character so much. I kind dislike Dana now because she made David suffer so much, even if it is unknowingly ^_^; See, David has been in love with Dana for so long and it's all been one-sided... unrequited love. I understand that Dana doesn't feel anything for David and you cannot force love... and I don't want Dana to love David, but it caused him so much grief. What I don't understand is how everyone (and I mean everyone) knew that David was in love with Dana, except Dana. I think if she had acknowledged his feelings and confronted him with it, it would have brought closure. It makes me think that it's wrong for people to devote themselves too much for a cause... You are so focused on one thing that you missed everything else that's going on around you :( I really disliked how Dana didn't take care of herself and took risks. It's for a good cause and she feels strongly about it, but there is a limit and she crossed that line too many times for me to be comfortable. I am glad though that at the end of the book, she started questioning her action and in the end, left the Hanover House and became a foster parent.

Otherwise, Nothing to Fear is a great book. I actually liked Ethan a lot :) He's a good man... actually, all of Ms Rose's heroes are great guys :) Solid, gentle, sensible, brave and strong LOL. I did enjoy his relationship with Dana... I like the fact that both of them felt right away that this relationship was special... and that they took some time to get to know each other and explore, even if the timeline was short.

What stands out the most in Nothing to Fear and what I enjoyed the most is the plot. Oh gosh, this was great suspense. A real page turner :) The plot was cleverly built and solid with some interesting twists. Everything tied up well together and the villain was definitively scary.I also liked the investigation aspect, how they all work together to piece the clues and arrest the villain. I really enjoy Ms Rose's plots, because they are always so complex, but well constructed. They are always more than what they appear to be on the surface. Ms Rose definitively has a knack for writing romantic suspense :) I also like the balance between the suspense and the romance. I think she did a great job incorporating the romance... Sometimes, it's hard to believe in the romance in a romantic suspense, it feels like the romance doesn't have a place, especially when the timeline is short... but like I mentioned above, it works in Nothing to Fear. I really did believe in Dana and Ethan's attraction and how it played out. I'm happy that the H/H were not joined at the hip. They spent limited time together, but it magnified the importance and the impact :)

Aside from Dana's character, the only other issue I had with this book was Richard's family. Richard is Ethan's dead best friend. Throughout the whole book, whenever Richard was mentioned, I wondered if Ethan kept in touch with Richard's family. For some reasons, it didn't seem so to me, but that's perhaps just a feeling I got... but if he didn't, that wouldn't be consistent with Ethan's character... Hmmm.


My Grade: B. Nothing to Fear is a great romantic suspense - solid plot and solid characters. Not my favorite Karen Rose book, but one that I'd probably read just for the plot alone :)