Thursday, April 30, 2009

Re-Read: Twisted Creek by Jodi Thomas

So earlier this month, one of the new releases I was anticipating was Rewriting Monday by Jodi Thomas. While I enjoyed it, I think that Twisted Creek was better and as a result, I ended up re-reading it :)


Twisted Creek by Jodi Thomas
published by Berkley in April 2008

Bad luck's been biting at Allie Daniels's heels all her life, so when she inherits a tiny cafe in a small Texas community she's sure there's a catch. But Allie brings her grandmother along, and the cafe gives Nana a chance to do what she does best - cook. As the pair settle in to make the best of what surely must be a mistake in an old man's will, the people of the town drop by. Lonely folk discover there's always a "table for one" available, with down-home food to warm the soul. An old maid, a shy young man, and a drifter, slowly become the family Allie never had. When trouble comes, Allie finds she's not alone anymore -- and that, sometimes, the only cure for bad luck is the courage to love.
Genre: contemporary romance
Series: none so far

Previous review: here. (Since I've already reviewed this book before, I'm just going straight to my opinion:P)

My Opinion: Again, this is such a great book! I love the pace and atmosphere of Twisted Creek and as soon as I started reading it, I was sucked into its world again :) Since I've read it only last year, the story was quite fresh in my mind... but what really makes it special is just how it makes me feel. At ease and peaceful.

Aside from the atmosphere, what I liked the most in this book was the relationships. I love the relationship between Allie and her grandmother, Nana. It's so loving and selfless. Very special. The friendship, bond between the Nesters was also very heart-warming. It was funny to see that everyone was expecting Allie, because Jefferson said so. Allie and Nana got accepted in that little group so easily... Although the outsiders consider them as eccentric, these people care about each other so much... they form this tight community and it's just great. The romance was also very sweet. I liked the slow-paced... Upon re-reading it, I found it a bit annoying that Luke "didn't want to get involved" - this seems to be a theme in books lately and it's just so annoying. Sometimes, it hits you... just be grateful and accept it. I loved Luke though! His quiet strength, seeing everything, being there.

In addition, the intrigue was well incorporated into the story. It was believable and didn't overshadow the romance and relationships. Overall, still liking it as much as the first time, if not more :) I think this will be one of my all-time favorite books, one where I can go back and just be absorbed :)

My Grade: A. I think I found the word to describe it: heart-warming. Like I say, I really like everything about it, from the characters to the relationships :)