Friday, July 23, 2010

Accidents with books

This week has been awful :( You know when you feel things are off? Well that's how it's been this week ^_^; Everything's been off. I came in to work on Monday and got a lecture from my boss and I mean, that really started the week on the wrong footing... Then I almost ran over someone on Tuesday @_@ Wednesday was okay, but yesterday was real bad... All because of a freezer that we ordered. It still hasn't arrived after 2 weeks. "Why? This is unacceptable! Tell them we're canceling and we'll order from Sears!" Ugh, it's driving me insane :( And it's still crazy busy with experiment! Seriously! I think my co-worker and I are trying to hard to get the work done... cos now, our boss' demands are sometimes really unrealistic.

Bu the real capper was this morning :( I went to get a green tea frappuccino from Starbucks... I put off drinking it, thought I would wait till I get in to work. See, from the parking lot to the lab, there's a hill to climb. For some reasons, I think it's easier to climb when your hands are free. So I tucked the frappuccino into my bag of books, making sure it was surrounded with plastic so the moisture wouldn't wet the books, and off I go...

Yep, you guessed right. It spilled!!! Ugh. Probably when I got out of the car, I squished it and 1/4 spilled!! Luckily, I only had 2 books in the bag that were not in another plastic bag... but one of them was The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan... a HC!!! Ugh. At least, the dust jacket was off. Okay, the damages weren't too bad. I wiped off the Red Pyramid so at least, it's not sticky, but it is no longer smooth either and the there's a bit of discoloration in the red of the case. The endpapers at the back are actually where there's been the most damage :( When you look at the front edge of both books, well there's a green tinge. I'm lucky enough though that the liquid didn't seep in too much making the pages wavy or at least, not too much in The Mage in Black by Jaye Wells. I'm going to have to flip the pages a couple of times though to be sure that none stick together ^_^;

I'll take pictures tonight and put them, so you can assess the damage.

Here are the pictures. A little late, but better than never :P




Anyway, I thought it'd be fun to share some horror stories LOL.

What about you? What's the worst that has happened to one of your books?



PS - Don't I sound smart, using word like endpapers and front edge? LOL. Well I got my vocabulary from this post :P

14 comments:

  1. That's an expensive hardcover Nath. I'm glad you don't have to dispose of it and buy it again.

    I think the worst accident I've had with a book was dropping my copy of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and breaking the book spike completely from the binding. That hurt!

    Ohhh and leaving my copy of "The Year of The Death of Richardo Reis" by Jose Saramago where Camille could reach it when she was a toddler, and she ripped the front over off! That hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's ... "Ricardo Reis" *g*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, ouch! Boo!!!

    My worst book nightmare was on a paperback I borrowed from a friend. My mom decided to read it, picked it up, and bent it completely back, cracking the spine so that it would lay completely flat when opened. I had to go buy a new book for my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you just hate weeks like that? Sometimes, you just need to go to bed and pull the covers over your head.

    Hope next week improves!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How horrible. It's a nasty thing to happen but on top of having a crappy week it sucks even bigger donkey balls. Sorry that happened.

    I don't think I've ever had any accidents with books that I can think of. I did lend one of my Mercy Thompson books to a friend and her toddler ate part of the book. lol mmmmm fiber.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh man that sucks. But at least you can still read it. Let me know how you like it!

    I loaned my sil a book and her dog chewed on the book. So she had to buy me another book. I think that's the worst of my book accidents.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I carry a book bag to work everyday. My book goes in it my lunch my water bottles. On the way home I put my EMPTY insulated coffee mug from the morning drive to work. Unless I don't remember that I didn't drink all the coffee OR close the sippy part of the mug. Clueless I dropped the bag in the backseat of my car and got home to a soggy, soggy mess. My makeup bag was in there that day. It was so old that it didn't survive the sogginess. Major bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. nath, I'm sorry to hear you had such a crappy week. I hope you enjoy your weekend now and that next week improve. A lot.

    PS: Don't you know that when you do things like that (frappuccino in a bag of books), things you so don't want to go wrong, they always do? ;) It happens to me all the time. Although thankfully - oh I see it coming now that I said it - not with my books so far. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry to hear about your week. Sometimes you just want to scream at the top of your lungs, "Leave Me Alone!" I hope you have a better week!

    I wanted to die the day my younger cousin bent the front cover of my very first chick lit book "Something Borrowed" by Emily Giffin, creating a huge white crease across the cover. It still makes me cringe to this day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That really stinks! I feel your pain. Good thing the dust jacket was off. A couple of weeks ago I spilled soda on my desk and it spread to one of the books I had on the desk. Yeah, it wasn't a pretty sight because the top half of the book got soaked. I wanted to cry. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hilcia - I know!! I'm really glad it didn't completely ruin it ^_^;

    Ouch, hopefully the Harry Potter wasn't a HC. Ihate it when the books come out completely of its binding. I remember I had a copy of Something Wonderful by Judith McNaught and there was probably something wrong with the binding... cos not only the books came out of the cover, but pages started to get loose!!

    I'll have to remember that when I have kids LOL. Keep them away!

    Lori - Oups LOL. I usually don't mind cracking the spine though... but flat? ouch, that's a major crack.

    I had a friend, she collected manga... and her instruction was to crack the book open at 45 degrees ^_^;

    Kaetrin - OMG, yes Kaetrin! Week from hell, ugh.

    I definitively hope the next week gets better, sigh.

    Tracy - Thanks Tracy!

    LOL, toddler must have been hungry... and all the drool must have been it mushy enough to swallow :P

    Isabel - I will get to it eventually and I'll let you know, Isabel :P

    At least, she bought you a new copy :)

    Rosie - Ouch, Rosie!! yeah, that's pretty much what I do as well, put my lunch and water bottles in the bag...

    But definitively a major bummer for you :( Which books were ruined? On the upside, new make-up is not bad no? :P

    Taja - The week-end was great :D It helped... I'll keep my finger crossed for this coming week, sigh.

    Ugh, next time, I'll be holding it! You probably should too... just for a little while :P

    Firepages - Definitively. I mean, I love my co-workers, but my boss. Sigh.

    Ouch ^_^; I bet you must be the kind that keeps her books very clean :D I don't mind creasing... but water damage, ugh :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, Nath. As soon as I read "I tucked the frappuccino into my bag of books" I knew it wasn't going to end well.

    The pictures don't look too bad - I guess it could have been worse.

    I've been pretty lucky except for one time when my youngest was a baby. We were in the rocker, he had just been fed & was cuddled up to me, I thought he was going to sleep. I grab my book and started reading as I rocked. Holding him in one arm and reading with my other hand. Suddenly he starts fussing. I close my book, set it on my lap and turn to youngest. He lets out a burb then throws up all over him, my lap, and book. Even if I could have cleaned it - that smell was not coming out! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay, puke wins hands down!

    I've done it all. Water soaked books, drink soaked books et.

    The one that got me was forgetting I had bought Bob a Lindor chocolate ball on a hot day. I had a hard cover and I'm thinking an Anne Stuart in the bag because I remember being distraught. Only tanking a Stuart would be that upsetting. And the hardcover - hate when you get those messed up.

    Hope this week started off on a better note!

    cindyS

    ReplyDelete
  14. Leslie - Ohhhh, I think Cindy's right, Leslie. You win for the worse book accident. Ohhh, the smell... *scrunch nose*

    Cindy - Ohhhh, well at least, it smells better than puke, Cindy! LOL. But yeah, that would be bad too. Especially an Anne Stuart.

    Sigh, no, my week didn't start better :( Bummer, seriously.

    ReplyDelete