This is a really tough topic... Seriously. Perhaps I could live without reading the following books, but if I got to choose, I would rather not :P They are in no particular order and mostly are from my favorite authors. They're also, almost all exclusively romances :P Hey, can't help it since that's almost exclusively what I read :P So here we go!
1. Pearl Moon by Katherine Stone - this book is by far my favorite book by Ms. Stone. I don't know, perhaps it's the setting, I'm in love with Hong Kong, but even more, I love the characters... Especially Maylene. I guess I've always had a weakness for those tough characters on the outside, but all soft and vulnerable on the inside. In addition, I love the parents' love story. This is the book that made me discover Ms. Stone and seriously, I love it :)
2. The FBI SCU series by Kay Hooper - this series come in trilogies. So far, there are 3 trilogies: Shadows, Evil and Fear. The first book of the fourth trilogy is coming out this summer, in July, and I'm really excited about it :) What I like about this series is hmm, the mystery aspect. This was the first series that got me into all that FBI stuff. Also, I like how Ms. Hooper incorporated the psychic elements - not magic, but science. I think that all the theories are very interesting. Another thing I like is the fact that although these are a series and trilogies, each book focuses on one agent and a case. Thus, although there are connections between books and characters, it can still be read as stand-alone. Some series are better if they're continuous, others if they're completely separated. If I had to choose one book of the whole series, I would probably go with either Out of the Shadows, Touching Evil or Hunting Fear.
3. Getting rid of Bradley by Jennifer Crusie - seriously, what would be life without Ms. Crusie? A lot more boring and not as much laughs! I love her books, ,they are simply just so funny! I'm anxiously awaiting her next solo book. Anyway, I love, love, love Getting rid of Bradley... probably because the main character grows a backbone... I don't think she was a TSTL, but she started out as a shy, intimidated, undecided person and became someone I'd like to be. Also loves the hero :D He's just so cute and sexy. Love the dogs as well :P
4. The Chesapeake Quartet by Nora Roberts - I love, love this series :D I guess these are the books that sealed my undying love for Ms. Roberts. The focus of these books are relationships and it's wonderful to see how it unfolds. I like the brotherhood feeling, but also the trust that develops between Seth and his older brothers.
5. Women of the Otherworld by Kelley Armstrong - Wonderful paranormal series in my opinion. Not only the characters are interesting, but the world building. Ms. Armstrong was able to create a world, although not unique, different enough from the rest. I really like her characters and how the story has gone so far. If I had to choose one book, it'd be Industrial Magic because that's the book where most characters come together.
6. Through a Crimson Veil by Patti O'Shea - seriously, this book comes as a surprise. What I like about this book is Ms. O'Shea's writing style. I guess it's because if I could write, I'd want to write like her. Kick-butt, but passionate heroine with scuffy, protective, possessive male. To protect each other, both characters never hesitate... My only regret is that Ms. O'Shea doesn't have an extensive backlist and actually, few stand-alone books.
7. The Perfect Lie by Dinah McCall - what can I say, I've talked and raved about this author a lot... it's just that her style fits my taste :D I like how she tells her story and I love the characters in this one. A father who would do anything to save his son - although he didn't knowhe had one, a woman who's been in love with the same man for years and years and who has stand on his side no matter what and a son who meets his father for the first time. Seriously, this book was great :D
8. Shades of Twilight by Linda Howard - Don't ask me why... a lot of ppl are put off by the incestuous relationships in this book, but surprisingly, I don't mind. I'm even rooting for Roanna and Webb. I guess I have something for emotional damaged heroines... they just go straight to my heart. The special thing about this book is while I was reading it, my heart actually ached for Roanna...
9. Study trilogy by Maria V. Snyder - Yeah, I know, the trilogy is not even over ^^; What can I say, it's soooo good! This is the kind of adventure/fantasy story I like :D Love Yelena, love Valek... love everything. Need I say more? There's also a very interesting intrigue in this... not just your typical love story.
10. Night Whispers by Judith McNaught - one of the first book I've read when I started reading in English and just fell in love with it :D I also read Until You, both in French and English, and it was also excellent. These two books are what made me fall in love with Ms. McNaught and why, no matter what she writes or which direction Ms. McNaught takes, she'll forever be on my autobuy list.
*** This is the author that I couldn't live without: Jin Yong, also known as Louis Cha. Mr. Cha is a Hong Kong author who has written 14 kung fu novels which have almost all been adapted on TV several times. His best known works are probably his Condor Heroes saga, as well as Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils and The Proud, Smiling Wanderer. If I would have never watched the TV series and read his novels, I wouldn't be the same person. That's how big an impact his books had on my life.
Of course, there's a lot more books I'd like to add to the list, but if I had to choose 10... that would be it :D I guess that after seeing my list, many think I have peculiar tastes :D They would agree with me for the authors, but perhaps not the book :P What can I say? I never used to think too much when I was reading and analyze things till I started reviewing. What I like about these books is how they make me feel - very good :D
*** ETA: this is like so forgetful of me! This meme was started by Kailana! If you want to know what are the ten books others can't live without, see here! Also, what are the 10 books you can't live without?