Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Monthly Reads - August 2009

How is everyone? More important, where is everyone?! Yes, I know, I often complain that blogland is quiet, but seriously, it's true!!! It has been quiet :( Is it summer, back to school, blues? It doesn't help that two well-known and well-liked bloggers have decided to take a break... and perhaps a permanent one T_T I do hope that Amy C and Zeek will be back when they feel it.

Okay, onto my monthly reading list :) The month was a bit slow for me... I wasn't exactly in a reading slump, just sloooow.

1) Nightlife by Rob Thurman: B+

2) I Can See You by Karen Rose: A-

3) Bad Moon Rising by Sherrilyn Kenyon: C

4) How To Tame a Modern Rogue by Diana Holquist: B-

5) Moonshine by Rob Thurman: B+
Review coming at Breezing Through

6) Edge of Dawn by Patti O'Shea: B+

7) Madhouse by Rob Thurman: B
Review coming at Breezing Through

8) Hunting Ground by Patricia Briggs: A-
Review coming

9) Deathwish by Rob Thurman: A
Review coming at Breezing Through

10) With Seduction in Mind by Laura Lee Guhrke: B/B-
Review coming

11) Open Season by Linda Howard: A-

12) Must Love Hellhounds - anthology: very good LOL :)
Review coming

13) Alpha & Omega/Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs: B+
Re-read

I've also re-read part of The Thief, Queen of Attolia and King of Attolia. But since I didn't re-read them cover to cover, only half of them, I didn't include them in the list.

So as you can see, a bit less than usual. Not bad at all, because there were a lot of good books. I have to admit that although I love the Cal Leandros series... they take more time to read ^_^; I don't know why, but that's how it is. Great thing though is that with less books, more are reviewed! :) So look forward to it, many reviews coming!

17 comments:

  1. It's because you spend so much time drooling over Niko. LMAO

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bad month of reading for you is almost my yearly count. But I'm not comparing because that would cause a slump! ;)

    Would you say Briggs is a romance writer or more paranormal?

    CindyS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice month! I see quite a number of reviews planned. :) I'm especially looking forward to reading your thoughts on Guhrke's novel. Good luck on getting them all done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to your reviews Nath. Particularly the Briggs and the Hellhounds antho. Both are on my list. Oh, so is the Guhrke.

    Nice month!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leslie - LOL, perhaps, perhaps... but then, that'd be a good reason to read slowly, right? :)

    Cindy - LOL, I know... but everyone's standard is different right? :)

    Hmmm, Briggs is more a paranormal author. If you want to try her, I'd say her Alpha & Omega series is more focused on relationships and therefore, more sweet. However, in either case, it's closed-doors sex.

    Taja - Thanks Taja! :) Yes, many reviews to come... Just need to start working on it! LOL :) I'll try to review the Guhrke very soon.

    Jennifer B. - Thanks Jennifer :) I hope I get them up soon ^_^; Just been a tad lazy lately... but LOL, what's new? :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my God, I don't believe it! You and I read the same number of books. Only it was a good month for me and a slow one for you, LOL!
    I have Hunting Ground coming in the mail in the next few days. I can't wait to get to it. I see you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cindy, In answer to your question about Briggs. Her Mercy Thompson series is categorized as urban fantasy and is narrated in first person by the protagonist Mercy Thompson. There is romance in that series, but it is not the focus.

    In Brigg's Alpha and Omega series is categorized as paranormal romance and is written in third person between both the heroine and hero's point of view. So far the anthology and the first two books of the series have focused on the same two characters, Anna and Charles.

    I recommend both series and they are loosely connected, both about werewolves. I hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG! OMG! OMG! I can't believe it!!!!!!

    You are one of my reading machine idols and you read 13 books in August? Guess what? SO DID I!!!!

    It's like your least productive month meets my most productive month and Voila! We're on the same page. LOL!

    We overlapped with ONE book: Hunting Ground by Patricia Briggs. Man, I love that world.

    You have Must Have Hellhounds? Lucky duck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice list! I loved Hunting Ground. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on Must Love Hellhounds!

    ReplyDelete
  10. After I left my comment earlier, I realized Must Love Hellhounds came out on Sept. 1. That must have slipped under my radar. Notice how I made the Freudian slip of calling the book Must Have Hellhounds. Heh.


    I promptly went to the bookstore for it and they didn't have it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. My monthly reads consist of mostly Harry Potter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jill - LOL, yes, we read the same number!! :)

    I hope you enjoy Hunting Ground :) I thought it was very good :D

    Christine - LOL!! What can I say... I'm usually a reading machine as you put it :D LOL.

    Hunting Ground was great, right? and yes, I got Must Love Hellhounds ;) It was great as well ;)

    and LOL at your Freudian slip, haha!

    Mandi - I'll try to review Must Love Hellhounds very soon! :)

    Isabel - I saw on your blog :) well it's fun to re-read right? :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I still have hopes of getting my August list up this weekend since I'm off for 4 whole days.

    As you know I finally read the Mercy Thompson series by Briggs and loved it. Alpha/Omega didn't work as much for me, but I bought HUNTING GROUND and am going to re-read the short story and CRY WOLF and see what happens. I'm thinking I read them too close on the heals of the Mercy books.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's quality not quantity :-) And you still read way more than I did.

    I really want Must Love Hellhounds - haven't seen it around yet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rosie - I have a four days week-end too! but this is the first time I'm sitting down to blog hop and blog LOL :) Hopefully, you'll be better than me and put it up :)

    Did you read Cry Wolf? I thought that put all together, the books are really good :D Perhaps you did read them too close to Mercy Thompson, although the series are really different. I like Anna and Charles better.

    Li - True, true, but then you have to read in order to find good books LOL :)

    I hope you get your hands on Must Love Hellhounds soon!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. If this is a bad month for you I would like to see what you read in a good month. Because, dang, I would sign up for such an amount of books each month, makes me think I am a turtle speed reader ;)

    Enjoy your reading in September!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Leontine - Well, I usually get a couple more in :) Perhaps two or three more...

    ReplyDelete