Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Reviews: Shadow Dance by Susan Andersen and Stray by Rachel Vincent

I know, I promised some reviews... and it never really happened ^^; At least, on the other hand, I've been reading a lot, so I guess it kinds of make up for it... no? I'll have lots of books to review when I'm in a reading slump :P Anyway, I'm still going to take the easy way out tonight and review these:


Shadow Dance by Susan Andersen: DNF
published by Harpercollins Canada in 2002

What Lurks in the Dark Shadows of the Heart?

Most men who see Amanda Charles dance worship her from afar. But one "admirer" is getting too close to the glamorous showgirl...perilously close.The looks, style, and grace that make Amanda sparkle on stage have now made her something else: the target of a serial killer.

Detective Tristan MacLaughlin has drawn the case that is pulling him deep into a world of pageantry and dazzle -- and closer to the stunning, violet-eyed beauty who keeps her secrets and emotions locked tightly inside. Tristan never thought he’d be bewitched by Amanda’s charms, never though he’d care. And he never imagined that by wanting her, by trying to protect her, he’d place her in the gravest danger of all.
Why did I get this book? Because I usually enjoy Susan Andersen's book... Truth be told though, I've often picked up this book, but put it back... I guess this is like exam with multiple choices: first instinct is always the best... should have left it on the shelf ^^;

My impressions: I've only got through the first couple of chapters... It just didn't do it for me... I liked Tristan enough, but my biggest problem was the heroine, Amanda... She just annoyed me so much, always jumping to wrong conclusions. Actually, both characters have the habit of thinking the worst of each other and that creates unnecessary trouble. So yeah, got annoyed by Amanda... then, I read the ending and I just figured it wasn't worth reading, because Amanda wasn't getting any better... ^^;


Stray by Rachel Vincent: DNF
published by Mira in June 2007
I look like an all-American grad student. But I am a werecat, a shape-shifter, and I live in two worlds.

Despite reservations from my family and my Pride, I escaped the pressure to continue my species and carved out a normal life for myself. Until the night a Stray attacked.

I'd been warned about Strays—werecats without a Pride, constantly on the lookout for someone like me: attractive, female and fertile. I fought him off, but then learned two of my fellow tabbies had disappeared.

This brush with danger was all my Pride needed to summon me back…for my own protection. Yeah, right. But I''m no meek kitty. I'll take on whatever—and whoever—I have to in order to find my friends. Watch out, Strays—''cause I got claws, and I''m not afraid to use them...
Why did I get this book? Because it sounded good, the cover is nice and I usually enjoy Mira books. I picked it up as soon as I got home from the trip from Toronto, but then put it down before reading the first page... not a good sign. Then, I picked it up again because Kris enjoyed it.

My impressions: Again, I got annoyed by the heroine... Faythe is tough and has an attitude and I guess she's strong too... the problem is that she's 23 y.o. and her "rebellion" comes off as immature and selfish to me. Seriously, she's annoyed at her father and brother's over-protectiveness and I understand that... but there's danger out there... aiming at her... and she just doesn't care as long as she can have her own life... Sorry, but man... these ppl are your family and they care about you... and for her just to get stubborn... She just clung too much to her independence, not caring about anyone else than herself... It really bothered me :( Also, all the sexual innuendos ^^; You guys know me... I like the one woman/one man relationship... and so all the attraction btw her and the other guys was just one more thing I disliked ^^;

Kris seemed to have enjoyed this book well enough... so I guess that all this is just me and if what I said above doesn't bother you usually, you'll probably enjoy the book :D I know that from the author's website, it seems that this is going to be a series...