Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Hits and Misses of 2007

Nath: One of the greatest thing in 2007 for me, was to get to know Ames better. I've started blogging back in the summer 2006, but at first, I was only lurking. Then, I got more involved and got to meet wonderful people. Then, back in March, I started to email with Ames. It's really great to meet and get to know someone that shares so many things in common with you... Especially reading and book tastes.

Ames: One of the best things for me in 2007 was the Canadian blog trip. I had gotten to know Nath really well through emails and it was such a pleasure to meet her, Kristie, Cindy and Chantal. We all love books so much and for me, there was no awkwardness between any of us. That's just amazing, meeting people you've met online and having a blast with them. It was good fun.

Not so fun, but a blessing in and of itself, was my car accident, which happened right after the trip. And Nath also had a car accident. Not only do we have car accidents in common, but we're both single, live at home, recently graduated from University and spend way too much money on books. Also, we're both sick of our jobs, but are too lazy to do anything about it. It's funny, but it's kind of scary how much we have in common, aside from books. LOL

To tell everyone the truth... Ames and I wanted to start a buddy review blog... But there was a lot more planning than doing. Then, we gave up the idea... the girls at Book Binge had just launched their blog and we thought too many stuff we planned would be similar. Also, both of us was unwilling to give up our blogs or make it less bookish. So instead, we thought we're buddy reviews more... that also never happened ^^;

So as a compensation for your loss (LOL), we'll be reviewing the year together! We'll have our own list on our blogs of Top 10 and all, but for now, here are some books we've both read and want to share with everyone :)


Surprises of the Year

Blame It on Paris by Laura Florand - I'm not one of biography or mémoires, but this book was truly awesome! It was sooo funny and the fact that most of the events were true just made it more incredible. I can't wait for the author's next book... and I can't wait for Ames to read it... and I've been bugging her for a while now!

Count to Ten by Karen Rose - I'm not a fan of romantic suspense, but there was enough blogger buzz to interest me in Karen Rose. I'm so glad I did. This book has quickly become one of my top faves of 2007. The book was made by the two main characters, Mia and Reed. They just fit, and that really struck a chord with me. Woot.


Disappointments of the Year

Lover Unbound by JR Ward - At this point, all I’m going to say is, I’m just going to keep reading this series for John and Blay. I lub them.

Blood Brothers by Nora Roberts - Overall, the book wasn't bad; however, it didn't meet my expectations :( I admit that perhaps, my expectations were high... but I was so excited to read it, hoping that it'd be in the same style as The Chesapeake trilogy... the romance, story-telling, even events and characters weren't balanced in my opinion. I hope that the next one will salvage the trilogy.


Best Book Event of the Year

Ames & Nath: For us, without question, the Canadian Romance Bloggers Meeting. It was just so great to meet bloggers, people that really share your passion.


Disappointing Book Event of the Year

Fire Study by Maria V. Snyder - I was really sad when I learnt that the book date release was pushed back... a YEAR!! One whole year! That was just insane... but March 2008 is coming soon!

Where did Patience by Lisa Valdez go?


Books that met our expectations

Kushiel's Scion by Jacqueline Carey - This was the book most anticipated by me this year, and it was worth the wait. All about forbidden love, this novel had me crying and then banging my fists in frustration for the next installment. I want to make sure my characters get a happy ending! But I won't know that until June, when Kushiel's Mercy comes out. *sigh*

No Humans Involved by Kelley Armstrong - This was the 7th book in the Women of the Otherworld series and the main characters were Jeremy and Jaime. I was anticipating this book greatly and I seriously wondered how Kelley Armstrong was going to deal with Jeremy and Jaime's relationship. All I have to say is Jeremy was hot and Jaime is one lucky woman... and that balcony scene... wow!


Best Come-back Author of the Year

Jennifer Crusie with Agnes and the Hitman - It might have been a collaboration, but I thought there was a lot more of Jennifer Crusie than Bob Mayer in that book... and Agnes and the Hitman felt like a classic Jennifer Crusie. I'm happy that Jennifer Crusie is back at her best and hope that she'll have a book of her own in 2008.

Ames: None


and now... our Top 3!

Her Majesty's Dragon - Naomi Novik

I loved this book! The bond between Temeraire and Laurence was what made this book so enjoyable for me.

I loved this book as well! It truly was awesome!! I love Temeraire and his relationship with Laurence. There's a lot of laughs and Temeraire is soooo cute!





Count to Ten - Karen Rose

This was Ames' surprise of the year and one of the best romantic suspense I've read in a while. The great thing about this book is that it was all well-balanced - the mystery, the romance and the main characters' development. Although it's loosely part of a series, it stands on its own very well... and the Hero and Heroine, Reed and Mia, were just great. Strong ppl with their share of past, but without being incapacitated by it.

Ames: see above


Demon Angel - Meljean Brook

Ahhh, Hugh and Lilith. How were they ever going to come together? It was crazy good how these two meshed.

This book was great!! It was very different than the usual romance novel or even paranormal romance... it's a difficult book to go get through, because there is so much either story-wise, character-wise or even detail-wise... but it's worth the time and concentration required... and Hugh and Lilith!! I just love them!! and Colin and Sir Pup LOL :P



One thing about 2007, there was a large number of new authors for both of us. It made it impossible for us to choose who we enjoyed the most out of the bunch. Let's hope that 2008 is just as enjoyable as 2007. I know March will be another good month for meeting up with bloggers...

I seriously can't wait to see what 2008 has in store for us. I'm sure it'll be another amazing year for us :D