Monday, November 03, 2008

Authors' Backlists

I was going to post a review today, but changed my mind and decided to start a discussion. I don't often hold a book discussion, but I have to admit, I've been curious.

So on my last trip to the States, you all know I went book shopping, as usual LOL :) What I like when I go to the States (or even in Ontario) is that bookstores over there have older books (say, with a print date before 2002 ^_^;) and so it's easier to find authors' backlists. I guess the problem in Quebec is since this is a French province, bookstores have to carry a French section and it takes up place and blablabla.

So last time, I was able to get my hands on two oldies from Sharon Sala, two from Susan Andersen and 1 from Rachel Gibson... Plus, at McGill's bookfair, I got Truly, Madly Yours, another oldie from Ms Gibson. I've enjoyed all three authors' books and they are on my auto-buy list.

In the past month, I read Deep in the Heart by Sharon Sala - not the best, but okay. Enjoyed the best friends love theme... I finished Head Over Heels by Susan Andersen and thought it was meh. As for Truly, Madly Yours, it was a DNF. So let's just say, I've been a bit disappointed :(

So my question is: What do you do? What do you do when you go to great lengths, invest your time, effort and money to get authors' backlists... and you don't enjoy all the books. Do you keep it all, because hey, it's one of your favorite author and you must have all of her backlist... or do you only keep the ones you enjoyed?

I'm the type of person who'll try to get my hand on all the books the author has written and keep them all... however, I'm wondering if it's the best thing I can do...