Monday, November 03, 2008

Monthly Reads - October 2008

Sigh, so my monthly reads list is a bit late this month ^_^; I really don't like it when the beginning of the month is a week-end. I tell myself to blog, but I know at the same time that week-ends are quiet, so I lose a bit of motivation... I guess now I have to catch up.

Overall, October was a great months for books and reading. I had a lot of fun hunting for the books and reading them :) I thought I was very regularly this month and I've read lots of good books or books I was anticipating :)

Here's the list:

1. Stroke of Enticement by Nalini Singh (The Magical Christmas Cat anthology): B+
2. Seduce Me at Sunrise by Lisa Kleypas: B
3. Death Masks by Jim Butcher: B+
4. Just the Sexiest Man Alive by Julie James: B
5. Blood Rites by Jim Butcher: B
6. Power Play by Deirdre Martin: C
7. Addicted to Love by Lori Wilde: B+
8. Dead Beat by Jim Butcher: A
9. Proven Guilty by Jim Butcher: B
10. White Night by Jim Butcher: B+
11. Small Favor by Jim Butcher: B
12. Tall, Texan, and Dark by Jodi Thomas: B+
13. Living with the Dead by Kelley Armstrong: B
14. Deep in the Heart by Sharon Sala: B-
15. A Virgin River Christmas by Robyn Carr: B+
16. Bad Penny by Sharon Sala: B+
17. Something about Emmaline by Elizabeth Boyle: B+
18. The Marriage Lessons by Victoria Alexander: C
19. Salvation in Death by J.D. Robb: B
20. Truly, Madly Yours by Rachel Gibson: DNF
21. Demon Bound by Meljean Brook: A-

I also got my hands on Blood Rites Lite, an anthology. Okay, quick question, how is it that urban fantasy novellas are so short? Anyway, I bought it mainly for Kelley Armstrong and Jim Butcher's novellas. Both were okay, given the length of them... about 25 pages ^_^; So I'm not listing it up there.

Overall, as you can see, I got quite a good reading month :) I'm also proud to see that my reviewing rate is up :) Again, asking, any of the books you'd like me to review in particular?

7 comments:

  1. Hi Nath! Looks like you had an awesome reading month! I don't think I've heard of the anthology blood rites. Is that a mass market or paperback? I know that Jim Butcher and Kelley Armstrong just came out together in another anthology called Bloodlite. I think they're all supposed to be humorous stories. My fingers are itching to pick that one up. :P

    I really need to get caught up on Kelley Armstrong's series, but she's my rainy day read and so its hard for me to pick up one of her books because my inner nerd goes "OMG! I'm now down one book of hers! I only have 3 more left sitting on my shelf! What am I going to do! *flail*" :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Samantha - Hi Sam! Yep, got a great reading month. You're actually right, it's not Blood Rites, but Blood Lite ^_^; The Jim Butcher and Kelley Armstrong novellas were very short, but cute :) I'd say wait a while before picking them up :P

    LOL, read KA... and re-read them!! That ways, you don't have to go OMG :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that they are meant to be short stories as opposed to novellas. I just finished reading Many Bloody Returns which has lots of short stories by lots of different authors, including the two that you mention!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marg - You're probably right. They are meant to be very short stories :P I guess it helps when the characters don't need to fall in love :P

    Many Bloody Returns... is that the one with Cassandra's short story?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny how there are romance short stories (or novellas) are usually four in a single book, whether SF/fantasy ones are around 10-plus. I suppose it's difficult for a convincing romance in 25 pages or so...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marg - I'm waiting for the trade-size format of this book to come out. Then, I'll get it :)

    Li - I know. That's what I've been thinking as well. I guess in the SF ones, you jump straight into action...

    ReplyDelete