Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Best and Worst of 2008

Whhhhew. Okay, I'm trying to get into some blogging routine, juggling between work, this blog, Breezing Through and reading... I have 3 reviews that I'm supposed to write and I don't know how I'll do it, LOL :)

However, this is nice busy. Hopefully, I'll be going home earlier next week and will have more time to blog and read :)

So in the last post, I did my year in review... and realized that my system to keep track of books wasn't great ^_^; Usually, I write all my reads in a book journal and then, I compiled at the end of the month when I put up my monthly reads list. However, going through the book journal to count or even trying to count something in a post is really not easy. I guess that means I'm a convert and this year, I'll be keeping a spreadsheet of my list of reads! I have to say I was jealous of Wendy, the Super Librarian, who was able break it down to the genres and grades...

Anyway, I did try to break it down at least into the grades... here's how it turned out:

Books read - 207
A graded - 13
D graded - 5
DNF - 9
B and C graded - the rest

LOL :) I'll do better next year, I promise!!

If you want to know what was my best and worst reads of the year 2008, head over to Breezing Through or simply click here.

Now, now... should I read or review?

7 comments:

  1. First, read baby, read! You can always do the reviews "later". :P

    I think with the posts you have out there talking about your 2008 reading experiences (especially at Breezing Through) we have a good idea.

    Don't mind Wendy, she has a cape and super powers we can't expect to be in her lofty company with the stats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn, I had just written this really long post and blogger ate it! I hate it when that happens!

    Anyway, What I was trying to tell you Nath, was that I use google documents to keep track of the books I read. It's nice because you can access it from any computer with the internet, (work and home). I have columns for the publication year, title, author, genre and my rating. That's it. It is really simple. I am still working on tallying up my reads for the year and posting about it. I know, I am a total dork :)

    As far as reviewing goes, I usually try to write the review before I pick up another book. Sometimes, I will just write down my initial likes and dislikes of the book and then write the review later, but I always try to write something before picking up another book.

    I hope this helps and good luck with whatever you decide. Don't worry, because whatever you decide will be the right thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rosie - LOL, you're right :) Read first and review... later :P

    I want to have super powers too!! Just like Wendy. Well hopefully, with the help of my google doc, it'll be possible :)

    Jill - It really sucks when blogger eats your comment.

    Yeah, I just started one yesterday. Basically though, I have the same problem no matter how I keep track: I finish a book, then don't immediately write it down. That's not a problem when i read one book, but sometimes, I'll read 3 in the same week-end. Must work on being more diligent :)

    That's awesome you know! Even if I wanted, I don't think I could review so much. Sigh.

    Can't wait to see your post about your reading year 2008!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness, that's a lot of books, Nath. I ust google docs and a separate blog page to keep track of my reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, both Jill and Wendy have mentioned putting their spreadsheet up on Google Docs. It's such a good idea. I always forget about using it - we use it at work all the time. And when I'm not working and should be (like now!)... well, it's the perfect excuse to look like I am! Man, I love Excel! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hrm, you know, I only ever grade the books that I review. From now I will grade all of them, reviewed or not.

    The Google spread sheet does seem popular.

    I think it will be neat to be able to list the amounts of A, B, and Cs, etc next year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brie - LOL, yeah I know :) No life you know... LOL. I started a google doc and am keeping my fingers crossed :)

    Lori - LOL :) Excel is awesome... sometimes :)

    Seneca - I grade all the books... even if I don't write reviews. You at least know what you thought of it... maybe not the details, but if it was a great book, not so great.

    I already can't wait for the next year! LOL :)

    ReplyDelete