Sunday, May 23, 2010

Acknowledgments and extra epilogues...

Happy week-end!! I hope everyone is having a great time for the long week-end :D The weather is gorgeous in Montreal!

I haven't posted in a few days - feeling lazy. Also, I picked up a couple of new books at the bookstores on Wednesday and Thursday (I know, I know. As if I needed more!), so I've been reading instead of blogging ^_^; Although, I did work on a few buddy reviews for Breezing Through; I guess it balances it out :) 

Anyway, I've just, just, just start reading a book and peeked at the ending... and then, came across the Dear Reader message from the author. In it, I found out that the author has written an extra epilogue to the book which will be posted on her website and publisher website!! Squeeeee!!! I immediately jumped out of bed to take a look, but realized that it's probably not up yet... since technically, the book is not out ^_^; However, that got me to think... and tada, I have a post! LOL.


 Q1: Do you read ever read the additional pages there are in a book such as the acknowledgments at the beginning, author's bio and message at the end?

I usually don't. Most of the time, I jump right into the story and pay very, very little attention to those pages. I find that I'm more likely to read those pages if I like the author's work, but it's still pretty rare. So I'm pretty happy I did this time around LOL!

Q2: What do you think of extra epilogues? Do you like them? Do you read them?

Obviously, I think they're nice because we get to re-visit some of the characters and it usually wraps everything up more nicely :) Although in this case, I don't know why it was not included in the book itself :( However, there aren't many. I remember Nora Roberts wrote 1 for her Irish Gallagher's Pub trilogy and she wrote a little snippet in-between books story for the Chesapeake trilogy. I know Julia Quinn is writing a 2nd epilogue for each book of the Bridgerton series, although those I haven't read because you actually have to buy them ^_^;

Anyway, all I want to say is I do like the idea of extra epilogues :)


What about you?

13 comments:

  1. Q1 ~ I read them cause I'm nosy. :) Sometimes they're funny or sweet and sometimes they mention someone I know. :)

    Q2 ~ I like the extra epilogues. Like you said, you get to re-visit the characters and find out what they've been up to. I don't like it if they're added later to make the book feel complete. In that case, they should have been included in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) Yes. I read them all. Acknowledgments, dedications, author notes - all of them. The only thing I don't read in books are excerpts. I just don't do excerpts. Freak that I am.

    2) Very, very rarely. The only time I might is if I loved the book to pieces. Then my attention span may hold out long enough for me to track down the extra content.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is the extra epilogue for Silent Scream? I noticed there was a link on there and I thought it would be a 2nd excerpt of some sort and that it would be posted before the book is released....except the book is out in 2 days and I still haven't seen it! So now it makes more sense that it would be posted after the release, lol!

    I very rarely read the author's acknowledgments or messages because I'm too impatient to jump into my reading. Haha.

    I like extra epilogues because I like revisiting characters and getting a glimpse of their HEA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm like Wendy - I read all the acknowledgements etc, but usually stop at the excerpts.

    And, if I liked the book, I'm happy to track down extra content. It's like a little freebie which is always nice :). Usually when I like a book it's because I liked the characters - so getting to spend a little more time with them is a bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. #1 - I always read the Acknowledgment, Author's Notes, Dedications, Historical Notes, all of it, except for excerpts for the upcoming books (but I think we answered that question before).

    #2 - I don't look for extra epilogues. If they're not part of the book, I usually don't even know they exist. I know I may be weird, but if a scene is not in the book, to me it's not really part of the story. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, cool questions.

    I not only read the acknowledgements etc, I also read the copyright page :-) Cos I'm weird like that. Sometimes they include info like the cover artist, the page designer, font etc. Though there was this time the library classifications (IIRC) had a massive spoiler as it gave away a major plot twist! Ever since then, I've been a bit more cautious about reading that page, but I can't resist.

    And always on extra epilogues, if they're free. I love the ones Eloisa James does.

    Li

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always read all of them. The beginning and the end. I don`t go looking for them on the net though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Q1: depends on if it looks interesting.

    Q2: if they are free, sure i'll read them. Or like the JQ ones, I'll wait and see if they are all published together and buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Leslie - LOL, Leslie, that's actually a good reason to read them :)

    Nod, I agree with you, Leslie. It's fun when they're just cute and update us on the characters... but not when it is to wrap up everything.

    Wendy - Well I don't read excerpts either... and it seems that not a lot of people do, so you're not the only freak :P

    Interesting... it's true that most of time, we're not even aware that they exist...

    Tabitha - LOL, you're just like me, Tabz!! I might have found my reading twin :)

    Kaetrin - Nod nod. Well extra epilogues are definitively bonus :P

    Hilcia - I guess I should start reading those, Hils. Bet we find a lot of interesting things...

    Yeah, most of the time, people just come across the extra epilogues... but I just love them LOL.

    Li - LOL, okay, copyright page is weird... however, you probably know all the author's real name now :) Hmm, cover artist, that's something I should look into. Page designer - you mean, they actually design the pages?!?! I didn't know that.

    Oh, Eloisa James have some? LOL :P

    Kristie - Seems like I'm in the minority, not reading them LOL.

    Isabel - But then, how do you know if they're interesting or not, if you don't read them?

    I hope the ones for Julia Quinn are going to be long... or at least, when they bind them, it'll be priced well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read the acknowledgments and afterward and such but I don't go looking for extra content, for the most part. Although I do own the companion books for the BDB series and for the Outlander series. : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mollie - Hmmm, companion books. I didn't think of those. I have a few, but I've never read them... did you?

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG the epilogue for Gallagher's pub! It was called Christmas at Ardmore!

    I ♥ it!!

    I fell in love with Ireland after reading the 3 books. Damn! That book changed the way I think about Ireland. For me, now, Ireland is filled with quaint pubs and hot guys! I know... I know... this is like saying Indians still ride on elephants!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brahmin - Yeah, it was cute :D

    LOL, i know what you mean about Ireland!! Now, it's definitively on my list of places to go visit!

    ReplyDelete