Sunday, August 08, 2010

Hauling Sunday VII

My plan this week-end was to relax: read and blog basically LOL. Turns out, I went on an impromptu visit with my sister to my uncle and his family in Quebec City. I had a great time - it's always fun to hang out with family :) However, that means little reading and no blogging... Sigh, that means my Monthly Reads post is going to be very late again. Ah well.

At least, I'll be on time for this post :P Very limit, but still on time :) Here are my purchases for the week, thanks for a "Buy 2, get the 3rd free" promo from Chapters/Indigo! Yay!


Looks like this week, I was in a romantic suspense mood :P

Deadly Fear by Cynthia Eden - I've been hearing a lot of good about Ms Eden and so, I wanted to give her a try. I'm a bit burned out on paranormal romance, so I elected to go with this one :)

Dangerous Desires and Desperate Deeds by Dee Davis - Like I said, I was in a romantic suspense kick. I already got Dark Deceptions and I thought "why not?" Better be prepared in case I love Dark Deceptions :)

Her Last Chance by Michele Albert - I have the first two or three books in this series, but still haven't read them. This one caught my attention because it's an ex-cop vs a FBI agent :) Rivalry can be a very good premise... and very hot as well :P

The Reckoners by Doranna Durgin - Looks like part paranormal, part urban fantasy, part sci-fi. My choice is based a bit on the fact that the publisher is Tor and it sounds different :)

Shadows at Midnight by Elizabeth Jennings - I read Pursuit and enjoyed it a lot. Looking forward to this new release :)

Overall, a pretty good week buying-wise :) I almost picked up Veil of Night by Linda Howard as well on Friday... but I stopped myself (I was at the bookstore, literally with the book in hand - it wasn't easy!).I really like the premise of it, it sounds to me liked a grounded story. However, I'm just not sure it's worth the HC price. So I'm going to be patient *gasp* and wait for reviews... so please people, hurry up! :)

8 comments:

  1. Nice haul, nath! I'm not much into romantic suspense but I'll take a look at the Durgin book. I like Tor books, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you had a good time away, Nath. You needed the break. Wow, I don't have any of those books in my radar... looking forward to your reviews/comments on them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear you enjoyed your weekend, even w/o blogging & reading time. Family is always fun to hang with. :)

    I've seen The Reckoners at the library but was unsure so I'll be interested to see what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taja - While I really like contemporary, surprisingly to me, I don't read that many romantic suspense. I have a few authors that I really love though :P But yeah, for some reasons, I was in the mood for it :)

    Let me know what you think of the Durgin book if you ever get to it :) I'm hoping to read it soon, but we'll have to see I guess :)

    Hilcia - LOL, I didn't either except for the Elizabeth Jennings. The others were just impulsive buys :) I read a few and hopefully, it'll review them soon LOL.

    Nice time, but still... not super relaxing though, you know, and I didn't have time to read and blog :( I guess we can't have it all LOL.

    Leslie - True, true. In small doses though LOL, which really, it's the only option I have since my relatives all live away.

    LOL, hopefully, I'll get to that book :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have Veil of Night in my cart at Chapters. It's so much less expensive ordering online than buying it in the store. I got a Dee Davis book at RWA this year - not sure which one yet, I've yet to catalogue them

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristie - I sent you a coupon, did you get it? With that coupon, buying it in-store or online is the same. Did you see Dear Author's review though? makes me glad not having bought it ^_^;

    LOL, can't wait to see what you got at RWA!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a great selection of books! Let me know what you think of Cynthia Eden's Deadly Fear when you get to it. I recently read a review for it somewhere and am thinking of picking it up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Christine - I'm going to try to review it soon :) Here what I can tell you though. It was a good book; however, the case for me was a bit unoriginal. It's about fear crimes (he kills his victims through what scares them the most: water, claustrophobia, etc.). My issue is that I've read a couple of books with the same M.O. It's great at first, but afterwards...

    Tabitha really loved the first half and then, slowly started going downhill in the 2nd half. Her issue was sex during inappropriate time :P

    ReplyDelete