Thursday, August 23, 2007

This week reads so far...

Hi everyone,

sorry for the lack of post this week, but work has been exhausting and frustrating... or actually, work has been exhausting and co-workers, frustrating :( I can't wait for the week to be over. My reading slump seems to be going away slowly... The problem this week is that I want to read, but I don't have time :( Isn't that a mood-killer?

I've been quite behind on my reviews, so I don't think that I can ever catch up if I do regular reviews ^^; So, here we go with mini-reviews.... I'm not that very good though and I know myself, so I'll probably run on LOL :P


His Every Kiss by Laura Lee Guhrke
published by Avon in September 2004

Everyone knows about Dylan Moore — his brilliant talent and his pleasure-seeking ways—but no one knows the torment that lies beneath his reckless veneer. Only one woman gets a glimpse of the forces that drive Dylan’s soul, a woman who haunts his dreams and evokes his passions as no other woman ever has before.

Disgraced and destitute,Grace Cheval wants nothing to do with the seductive man who desires her. When Dylan offers her a position as governess to his newfound daughter, she knows his true intentions are dishonorable. Yet she finds this charismatic man hard to resist, and she returns his passionate kisses with a fire that matches his own. Can Dylan dare hope that this proud, spirited beauty will melt the ice around his heart?
Series: Guilty series, Book #2
Genre: Historical romance

Thoughts: I really enjoy Laura Lee Guhrke books and this one is no exception :D What I like is that although her books are historical romances, they are different and less typical. No innocent, naive virgin in this book... Grace has lived, has made mistakes and has to live with her choices. Dylan is a bit typical however: a rake, but an outrageous one and he's not noble either. Anyway, the story was very character-oriented and I liked the flow of the story. The only thing I was not satisfied with is she took a long time to realize she was in love with him and when she did, it seemed too abrupt to me. However, I have to admit that this book was the weakest out of the three in the trilogy... probably because I've never been that enthusiastic about Dylan. Artist... very moody... LOL

Grade: B


Hot Wheels and High Heels by Jane Graves
published by Grand Central Publishing in July 2007
Trophy wife Darcy McDaniel has just discovered that, thanks to her embezzling husband, her posh, upper-class life is gone for good. Now she's trading her suburban palace for a trailer park and her weekly salon appointments for a job. Darcy needs a new man--fast--one who'll keep her in the manner she darn well deserves. Problem is, the hottest prospect around is the my-way-or-the-highway hunk who's making off with her beloved Mercedes!
Ex-cop turned repo man John Stark is sure that hiring the furious blonde in his headlights is a colossal mistake. He knows Darcy's high-maintenance, designer-labels-only type--after all, he's used to taking their cars. But he never expected this hellion to have the smarts and the spunk to go from receptionist to repo agent in record time...or to drive him insane with desire. She''s the last thing this tall, dark, and dangerous loner needs...and everything he never knew he wanted.
Genre: contemporary romance
Series: stand alone if I'm not wrong

Thoughts: I saw this book at the bookstore or somewhere and remembered reading the blurb and putting it back on the shelves... then Kristie read it and blog about it and I decided to buy it. Well, it did bring me out of my reading slump... although, I didn't enjoy it that much. First, Darcy is almost 40, but acts like she's 20... she makes me think of Paris Hilton with half a brain. She's soooo not realistic and I guess that's what bothered me the most. However, her mom was far more annoying... and I still think she was a gold-digger, no matter what she says... The love story was all right... but nothing that compelling. I love the last, last scene though! That was funny :P Also, her next book sounds promising.

Grade: C-

By the way, wassup with all the "my husband/bf ran away with millions of the dollars and left me behind" plotlines... it's seriously getting old and boring and the books I pick up recently all seem to have this plotline.