Monday, July 21, 2008

Review: Iron Kissed by Patricia Briggs

Hi people :D

How was your week-end? My week-end was very lazy and uneventful. Read a bit, ate and slept a LOT ^_^;

I sent an e-mail this morning to the professor for the job. I'm waiting for his reply and confirmation. I'm quite nervous because I had to give my 2 weeks notice as well... Hopefully, the professor won't be changing his mind. Sigh. So that was it for me today... waiting for a reply... (can't he hurry up?!?!)

All right, onto the review. I reviewed Moon Called and Blood Bound last week for my TBR Day challenge. Many of you were interested in my thoughts on Iron Kissed, so here it is...

***

Iron Kissed by Patricia Briggs
published by Ace Fantasy in January 2008


I could smell her fear, and it satisfied something deep inside me that had been writhing under her cool, superior gaze. I curled my upper lip so she could get a good look at my sharp teeth. I might only weight thirty or so pounds in my coyote shape, but I was a predator...

Mechanic Mercy Thompson can shift her shape - but not her loyalty. When her former boss and mentor is arrested for murder and left to rot behind bars by his own kind, it's up to Mercy to clear his name, whether he wants her to or not.

Mercy's loyalty is under pressure from other directions, too. Werewolves are not known for their patience, and if Mercy can't decide between the two she cares for, Sam and Adam may make the choice for her...

Genre: urban fantasy, werewolf, fae
Series: Mercy Thompson, book #3

The Story: To me, the back blurb pretty much covers it all... so I won't go over it.

My Opinion: Okay, confession time. Iron Kissed was my least favorite in the series so far. Not necessarily because of what happened to Mercy at the end, although of course, it wasn't my favorite moment. I just have this mental blockage against the fae.

I don't know what it is between me and fae, but I haven't had a book yet where I enjoyed them... and Iron Kissed was no exception. I had no interest from the beginning and the intrigue didn't pull me in. So yeah, book didn't work for me... Wasn't because of the plot, writing or characters, I simply wasn't interested.

I did enjoy any scene with Warren and Kyle :P Still love them :) What's cool also is that we get to see another face of Ben. I can't wait till Ms Briggs reveals more about his past, because there's a story there. Finally, I really appreciate that Ms Briggs hasn't dragged the love triangle between Sam and Adam. Was it necessary to have people tell Mercy to make a choice now? I don't think so... As I said in my previous review, I don't think there's a real love triangle... it's pretty obvious who Mercy loves more... but it's nice that the love triangle is now over. We can focus on something else in the next book :)

My Grade: I did give this book a B- when writing up my monthly reads... but now, writing the review, it feels more of a C range... but then, I don't think it's fair to grade it. So yeah, no grade :P