Saturday, August 31, 2013

Week-End's Minis XL: Love Irresistibly by Julie James

Wow, didn't think I'd get my mini up today, but I did! Yay! Also very happy because I've been wanting to review Love Irresistibly for a while! The last few days haven't really been great, so it's nice to have one good thing happening :) Now, I'm going to continue enjoying my long week-end and I hope you guys do too! And hope this review will be part of it LOL.


Love Irresistibly by Julie James
published by Berkley in April 2013
He's used to getting what he wants…

A former football star and one of Chicago’s top prosecutors, Assistant U.S. Attorney Cade Morgan will do anything to nail a corrupt state senator, which means he needs Brooke Parker’s help. As general counsel for a restaurant company, she can get a bug to the senator’s table at one of her five-star restaurants so the FBI can eavesdrop on him. All Cade has to do is convince Brooke to cooperate—and he’s not afraid to use a little charm, or the power of his office, to do just that.

And what he wants is her.

A savvy businesswoman, Brooke knows she needs to play ball with the U.S. Attorney’s office—even if it means working with Cade. No doubt there’s a sizzling attraction beneath all their sarcastic quips, but Brooke is determined to keep things casual. Cade agrees—until a surprising turn of events throws his life into turmoil, and he realizes that he wants more than just a good time from the one woman with whom he could fall terrifyingly, irresistibly in love...
Genre: Contemporary romance
Series: FBI/Attorney, Book #4

What do you need to know? The event that is described in the blurb - Cade needing the help of Brooke to nail a corrupt state senator - is not the conflict of the book and is actually dealt with quite rapidly... However, it is how Cade and Brooke meet. From that first meeting, they bump into each other a few times and start a relationship despite their busy schedule.

While everything is going well on the relationship front, their personal lives become more complicated. Brooke loves her job, but gets a very tempting offer. One that's almost too good to pass, but would take her in another city. As for Cade, he discovers the existence of a half-brother, Zach, from his father who's never been part of his life...

What did I like? There was a lot that I enjoyed about Love Irresistibly... but what stood out the most for me was the wittiness of Cade and Brooke's relationship. I think they were really well matched, had great chemistry and it all translated into excellent banter :) As a result, I really enjoyed their romance. I also liked the characters a lot. I liked that they were dedicated to their job, had ambition and were able to juggle their love, professional and personal lives. For me, Love Irresistibly was a good representation/portrayal of a budding romance between two professional nowadays.

I thought the conflicts were good and interesting and really liked how they were resolved. What's more, the resolutions felt very natural, not forced nor rushed which is quite rare. In the case of Brooke, I liked that she knew what she wanted in life and that her decision didn't revolve around Cade and their relationship. To me, her loyalty for her company and the fact that ambition didn't equal dollar signs were very commandable and told us a lot about Brooke. And I was so happy that she didn't actually take the job and come back because of Cade! How many have we read that kind of ending when the hero or heroine is confronted to a choice? It's just getting too typical and boring. As for Cade, I enjoyed his story as well. What he was facing wasn't easy, but he handled it with maturity. I liked how he got to know his half-brother Zach who was such a sweet character!

What didn't work for me? Not much. I really enjoyed Love Irresistibly :) There are only two niggles that prevented this book from being a wowzer in my opinion. The first is that I wished there had been more scenes of Cade and Brooke together. I didn't need a conflict between the two - I was happy with their issues, but it would have been nice for them to interact more, just be together. The other niggle is that the story is not very memorable ^_^; It's been a few months since I've read Love Irresistibly and I know I enjoyed it a lot while reading it, I even remember what I liked about it... but ask me for details about the story? I'm not sure I could answer. Just writing the synopsis for this review was really hard and I usually have a very good memory for it :(

My Grade? B+. Very solid and enjoyable read, but not without some minor flaws.