Sunday, September 23, 2007

Review: Agnes and the Hitman by Jennifer Crusie and Bob Mayer

So how was everyone's week-end? Mine was okay and I got to read some good books... one of them was Agnes and the Hitman... yes, I finally got my copy :D


Agnes and the Hitman by Jennifer Crusie and Bob Mayer
published by St. Martin's Press in August 2007 (hardcover)
Agnes Crandall, a food columnist better known as Cranky Agnes,knows she's in trouble when a dognapper invades her kitchen one night, seriously hampering her attempts to put on a wedding that she’s staked her entire net worth on. Then a hero climbs through her bedroom window... That’s Shane who has his own problems: he’s got a big hit scheduled, a rival trying to take him out, and an ex-mobster uncle asking him to protect some kid named little Agnes. Then Agnes turns out to be not so little and the problem turns out to be a missing five million bucks. Agnes and Shane have their hands full with a bunch of lowlifes looking for the money, a string of hit men coming for Agnes, a lot of wedding guests arriving for the wedding, and—most of all--with each other.
Genre: contemporary, romantic comedy
Series: none

Why did I get this book? Because Ms Crusie is an awesome author :D The books she wrote are so funny! Almost always great reads :D

My thoughts: Hmm, I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been wondering why Ms Crusie has been collaborating with other authors lately to write books. I mean, not that the books aren't good, but to me, Agnes and the Hitman was quite a classic Jennifer Crusie and I didn't see much of Mr Mayer in it. Anyway, for those who were disappointed with Don't Look Down, Ms Crusie and Mr Mayer come back very strong with this book :D Agnes is an awesome heroine, Shane is yummy, the secondary characters are hilarious, the plot ties up well and there's a dog :D I LOL so many times while I read this book :) it's really what I needed.

The Characters: There were sooo many characters in this book, but I think they all contributed to the laughs :D First, Agnes was awesome :) and she's not called Cranky Agnes for nothing :) I really enjoyed her character as well as her anger management troubles LOL As for Shane, great hero. He's the serious, cool type... we know very little about his past, but you know, he's a man you can depend on... he's also very capable and sexy LOL :) I think that Agnes and him were really a match made in heaven :) I did have a little problem with Shane's job, even if it was for the government... I know I shouldn't feel this way. I mean, what's the difference btw Medina from Linda Howard's books and Shane... but I guess it's the setting. After all, this was more a comedy than a romantic suspense book... The other secondary characters were great and each had a purpose... none seem superfluous and all contributed to the laughs :D

The Story: I really enjoyed the story and the ridiculous situations... Ms Crusie is one of the few authors who can take outrageous and ridiculous situations and not only make them funny, but work. But seriously, the plot was really compact. I mean, everything fit and there was no loose ends, which was a great accomplishment, given that this plot was a bit complicated :)

What I liked? Pretty much everything. It was truly funny, without trying too hard... and I really felt like reading a classic Crusie. Also the cover, I think the cover was great and it represented the book well :D

What I didn't like? Well as I said, Shane's profession... and Brenda!! OMG! that woman, LOL, I loved it when Doyle/Frankie was bitching at her... she totally deserved it. such an unlikable character.

Grade: A-. Definitively a great book :D

By the way, anyone has funny read to suggest? I've been feeling like reading something funny, but haven't found anything really. I've read all of the Crusie and she's the only author with Janet Evanovich, whose books make me laugh out loud as much.

15 comments:

  1. Hi Nath, I can't think of anything funny at the moment that you have not already read.

    This book sounds awesome! I'll look for it the next time I buy books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's see - funny. Have you tried Susan Donovan's Take a Chance on Me? I thought that one was a riot with the dog. Sandra Hill also does funny pretty good. The Love Potion is my fave funny by her. SEP can be quite funny too. That's about all I can think of other than the two you mentioned - oh wait! Have you read either To Die For or Drop Dead Gorgeous by Linda Howard? They were both quite funny, as was Open Season by her.
    And excellent review too BTW. I'll wait for it in paperback - but I will read it now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to say that funny is NOT my forte with books. I enjoy wit like Ms. Crusie's but I'm terrible either choosing or recommending funny. Although TO DIE FOR and DROP DEAD GORGEOUS by Linda Howard are quite entertaining.

    I thought AGNES & THE HITMAN had more vintage Crusie funny as well. Makes one wonder doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked this one too...which was a relief after the last few Jennifer Crusie collaborations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chantal - this book is definitively worth it :D did you ever read any Jennifer Crusie?

    Kristie - it's really hard to find other funny books in my experience LOL :) I read Take a Chance On Me, but I've never tried Sandra hill... I should give it a try. I don't like SEP's style and I had a lot of difficulty getting into To Die For/Drop Dead Gorgeous ^^; I guess I'm picky :D I did read Open Season and yeah, it was funny. and I hope you enjoy Agnes and the Hitman :D

    Rosie - it's fine, Rosie, don't worry :D if ppl would ask me, I would only be able to suggest Janet Evanovich or Jennifer Crusie... and you're absolutely right, Agnes and the Hitman did read like a vintage Crusie... I mean, I could see some of Bob Mayer in Don't Look Down, but none at all in this book... so why collaborate? sigh.

    Marg- I'm glad you enjoyed this one... and I know, it was a relief for me too. I have to admit I wasn't going to buy it until I saw the Dear Author's review which said this one was much better. I don't want to lose anymore of my favorite authors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you liked it!!! I really enjoyed Agnes too! And it's def Classic Crusie. Not sure about the collaboration deal either....but whatev. Have you read all the Evanovich's? The Full Series too...? They're pretty good, I wasn't sure I'd like them but I did! Can't really think of anything else funny at the moment.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read this one yet ~ it's on my wishlist, but I'm on a historical kick right now. Great review!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know if I have. The name is very familiar, but I dont know if it's because I read so many of her reviews, or if I have read one of her books.
    Crazy eh? lol

    I went to the library and asked for a recommendation for a romantic comedy. One of the ones they said to try was 'my favorite husband' by Pam McCutcheon. If it's good and funny I'll let you know.

    P.s why do Americans hate the letter u? They always spell favourite wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK Nath, you made me buy this book. I was holding out. -K.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mollie - Hey Mollie :D Yay, loved the book :D it was great! I hoped Ms. Crusie would finish her WIP, there's some that sound pretty good :D As for funny, I've read Evanovich too :) so I guess I'll have to guess which books are funny based on the covers and back blurb.

    Dev - when you're back in contemporary, this one is a definite must :D LOL, your wishlist seems so long!

    Chantal - LOL, I'm thinking you haven't read her :P Her books are very funny and hard to forget, so my bet, you've read too many reviews of her books :D Pam McCutcheon? Never heard of her :D do let me know what you think of it when you're done :D As for the letter 'u' I think that both are accepted you know: favorite and favourite... it's weird and makes our life more complicated in my opinion... never know when I should put an 'u' or not.

    Keishon - Sorry LOL :P but you definitively won't regret it :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi again,
    My favorite husband wasn't very good. I read the first several chapters, then I started reading one or so pararaphs every few pages.
    So very happy it's a library book, and not anything I spent money on.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This one's on my TBR pile. I'm one of the few people (seemingly) who loved Don't Look Down ... so now I'm wondering if I'll like this one! *lol* Because in their previous collaboration, I mainly loved Mayer's stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Chantal - okay, so I won't be getting that book. It's a good thing, because it was going to be hard to find. I hate the fact that I don't have a good library here :(

    Kat - Truthfully, DLD wasn't a bad book, but it didn't have the standard that Jennifer Crusie has set with her previous books. I think you should give it a try and see if you like it :D Did you read Jennifer Crusie stuff (no collaboration)?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've read a couple of Crusies (one when it was published as a category novel). I find her style frenetic, which is probably why I loved DLD because Mayer kind of balanced it out for me. I've just picked up AatH and the first scene is looking good. Frenetic, though. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kat - oh, if you don't like the frenetic pace, I think you might not enjoy this one as much... this book is a bit crazy with the pacing... but I still hope you'll enjoy :D

    ReplyDelete