Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Traffic nightmare...

OMG!

Traffic nightmares... really... seriously!!! Guess where I am now instead of cozy at home? At the library... in downtown.

The day has been pretty nice... sunny and very humid, the typical weather for the past few days. I really didn't notice the "strong" winds... My co-worker was listening to this radio station and they kept mentioning "tornado-watch." Now... those two words are pretty foreign language here in Montreal. So I asked where the radio station was and apparently it's in Burlington in Vermont? So I didn't pay much attention to it and went for lunch... and when I came back around 2h20, gone was teh sun. Instead, it was very, very dark and I saw some very nice thunders...

Apparently, the winds were so strong (more than 100km/h) that some of the trucks on the Champlain bridge (you know, the one that I use to get home) fell on the side. As soon as I heard that, I was on my way, but still too late. There's a total of 4 bridges and 1 tunnel that connect the island of Montreal and its South Shore, where I live... and when one is down, it means major traffic jam. I was hopeful that perhaps I left early enough to miss the start of it (I left at 3h), but nope. My first option is Mercier bridge which I never take... I almost got on, but it wasn't moving... so I chose another option. Good thing though that I didn't take Mercier... cos apparently the highway after the bridge was closed down due to electric wires down ^_^; Now, I would definitively have been lost ^_^; My second option was a no-go either. Apparently, it's a one-hour-delay... but I bet my entire book collection that it's longer. Cos the cars weren't advancing either. Telling you, completely jammed... everywhere.

See, I'm not a patient girl... and I don't like traffic jams. I know, who likes them? But seriously... I'd rather take a detour or a longer route knowing that I'd be advancing (albeit slowly), instead of being stuck and waiting. So in the end, I decided to go to the library, the big one near the Fathers' place where I work on Saturdays. Even getting to the Fathers' place (for parking - seriously, it's really useful to be able to get free parking) was a challenge. So after 2 hours stuck in the car, here I am telling you guys :P I don't know what time I'll go home... I'm waiting for the bridge to be re-opened... but I guess somewhere along 8pm. Luckily, this time, I didn't need to pee.

So what about you guys? What's the worst traffic jams you've seen or been in. Of course, this doesn't beat the one I was stuck in this winter while it was snow storming... I mean, it took me 4 hours to get to work when it usually only takes me 30 minutes in the morning... and gosh did I need to pee that day... but still, this time... all I could do was looking at my gas indicator... Gas was 1.51$/L yesterday!!! Can you believe it?!?!? That's like 6$/gallon!!! Insane... (well I did gas at 1.37$/L, but that's still crazy) and there my gas going away because I'm stuck in traffic... and after 2 hours, I got nowhere. Sucks.

Okay, ending my rant here... I'll let you know when I get home :P My sister is finally back... with the camera LOL :) So I'll try to take pics of my new hair-do and also my new shelves :)