Wednesday, August 27, 2008

First Day of work...

Hi everyone :D

So first day of work was yesterday :) It's still a bit too early to say how the job is going to be in the future, but so far it's okay. LOL, the professor tends to talk a lot and says the same things over and over again. My friend who referred me who is now going to be known as SW gave me an advice: whenever I get new results, to go see him right away... LOL, cos it might be long before I can start the next experiment :)

There's a resident that's starting at the same time as me. He's only going to be there for 3 months, but I'm happy not to be the only one starting. Poor SW though, because the professor is: Ask SW if you don't understand this and that. So yeah, SW is stuck with the new ppl :)

Two things that are annoying though is that I'm not going to get my ID card and pass till 2 weeks, so that means I can't come and go as I wish... I'll have to call every morning for someone to open the door :( Second thing, I don't have an employee number yet so I can't get a parking pass till next Thursday (first pay, yay!) and that means I'm going to have to park my car around the hospital... there's not much free parkings around and then, it's all: you can't park here from 8.30-9.30am or from 3-6pm, etc. So that means I'll have to play around a bit and move the car.

Okay, onto the great things though... Remember I told you that accepting this position meant a decrease of salary? Yeah, well it's still a decrease... but I get 4 weeks of vacation!! Hurrah!! (most ppl when starting a job only gets 2...) So 4 weeks of vacation, 12 sick days and 13 statuary holidays :) Hey, I'll take that!! In addition, I get fringe benefits, which I didn't get with my previous job. So I'm all happy, really :) Of course, all this starts in 3 months once I pass the probation period... but I'm not worried about that :D

So how about you guys? What's new?

9 comments:

  1. Yay! More vacation is TOTALLY worth it. I'm so glad for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you had a good first day. I'll keep my fingers crossed that all goes well in the future.

    Sorry about the parking, etc. That part sucks. But at least you know it's temporary.

    I'm with CJ - more vaca is TOTALLY worth it. Woot!

    I know I owe you emails (plural), but I've been swamped. Which I guess is good - and bad. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, cool! It's always nice to get the first day over and done with.

    Good luck with the parking :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carolyn Jean - Yep, I know... more vacation is totally worth it :) thing is, I didn't know I would get more vacation at first! LOL :)

    Holly - Yeah, I hope it goes well in the future. I'm not sure right now... it just doesn't seem like I'm working. Strange no? I can't wait till I really get into a full routine!

    Take your time for the emails, but don't forget :)

    Li - Yep, done and over... but never forgotten. Hmmm, nah, doesn't sound right for a first day at work. LOL :)

    Thanks for the good luck. So far, it's not too bad. I think I should be able to make it if I can come at 9h30.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay!! First day over and now you're on your way. 4 weeks is awesome! That's all Bob's got and he's been with the company for 10 years.

    And nothing new over here. Meh.

    Cindys

    ReplyDelete
  6. Extra vacation sounds like a bonus! Glad the job is going well so far. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nath,

    Starting a new job always has it's risks. Sounds like you are breaking in okay in the new work place. A few kinks here and there are completely normal. How do you think you will get along with your supervisor? Does his work ethic run along the same as yours? Are you pretty much on your own and report to him just as necessary?

    It's really nice that you have SW to go to for advice and such. That must help out tremendously. I am sure she know secrets that would take you a while to figure out. Good luck and I hope all goes well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cindy - I know!!That's why I think I'm so lucky! most ppl that just start working only get like 2 weeks! and I have more holidays, because they have a February and August holidays!!! and looks like you're going to have a busy week-end! Good luck!

    Brie - Thanks Brie! I'll keep you guys updated!

    Jill - Hi Jill!! Thanks for your concerns. I don't know yet how we'll get along. So far, I don't dislike him which is a good sign. I have a bit of difficulty with the way he speaks (he has a Chinese accent and tends to go on and on and on... I have very little patience ^_^; ) but we'll see. I'm getting the proper training, so the good news is that I won't have to set up any experiments on my own :) Then, later, I think we'll have meetings in the morning and evening to go through what needs to be done in the day and the results. I think that everything is going to be fine though. and yes, I'm very lucky to have SW. By the way, SW is a guy, LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad that your first day went well. Hope the parking thing gets better. That vacation time sounds awesome!!

    ReplyDelete