Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Review: Hot and Bothered by Susan Andersen

Hot and Bothered by Susan Andersen: 3/5

Quick, quick review before I go to work. So I finished Just for Kicks and since it was so good, I decided to try Hot and Bothered right away.

Hot and Bothered is the story of Victoria Hamilton and John Rocket M. (too long, difficult italian name for me to remember right now). Victoria and John were lovers for a week 6 years ago. The deal: one week of pure pleasure, no string attached, no last name... However, Victoria fell in love with John and so before the week was up, she slipped away. Result of that week: Esme, cute little girl. Once she was pregnant, her rich, neglecting, magnate father was scandalized and gave her two choices: either get an abortion or marry a banker of his choice. In the end, fed up, Victoria moved to London to put some distance between her father and her. Unfortunately, she had to leave her little half-brother - Jared-, whom she promised to protect, behind.

So 6 years later, Victoria's father is murdered... Jared has ran away and has become the prime suspect. Moving all her things from London back to the States, Victoria hires a P.I. to find her runaway brother... P.I. turns out to be John Rocket M. John's life was changed by Victoria - his whole attitude twds sex and all. After their week, he gave up the marines and became a P.I. and so he was very happy to see Victoria once again... until he saw Esme. So basically, the story is about John and Victoria still being attracted to each other, finding Jared, John learning to be a father and finding the murder.

The book was okay, but nothing wow. No really funneh situation, except maybe when John and Esme played Barbies and John transformed them into a platoon. Esme was cute, but that's it. In short, the book didn't really catch my attention and then, you skipped jumping back and forth in their relationship. I find it really annoying when two people are obviously attracted and are not sure whether or not they should get together... and then, they are from different social class, so that's another obstacle...

15 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh man, you got SPAMMED! Word verification is annoying as hell but it stops the above.

    ANYWAY, I think I remember not liking this one as much as her others as well ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey zeek :D thanx for stating the obvious. lol :D as for Hot and Bothered, i have to say it was a bit boring. Even Esme and Jared couldn't make it more entertaining :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate the secret baby plotline. It's dumb and plus I don't like children in my romance novels. They're not sexy. Boo!

    I read this book when it first came out and couldn't remember what it was about. I was all kinds of confused reading your summary. LOL But I remembered that platoon part. I like Susan Anderson, but there are better books of hers out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i didn't care for any of the books in this triology. i'm not sure if this was her earlier work (too lazy to check) or what, but it just plain sucked, IMO.

    and that whole "hung" thing go on my nerves. sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! Hung thing! heee

    The baby's are my favs of hers oh and I liked All Shook Up too.

    btw, Holly, i LOVE your Icon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. do you like contemps more than historicals? because you need to read LoS. wait...have you read LoS? If so ignore this, I am always pimping Loretta Chase. lmao.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked Hot and Bothered. I like everything Susan Andersen writes. But I did roll my eyes constantly at his nickname and the reason he got it in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ames - I wonder why you don't like children in books... not all of them are bad. By the way, question... what about teenagers? (the only thing is that most teenagers are portrayed as rebels and sulking... or if not, they're too nice and bright. sigh.)

    Holly - Yeah, I wasn't thinking of reading the rest of the series. by the way, what "hung" thing? (did I miss something?)

    Zeek - I'm going to look into the Baby series. Lucky me, they have some of them at the library and they have All Shook Up too (in large print ^^; )

    Mailyn - I prefer contemporaries than historicals :P but I read both... so I'll give it a try... I don't think I ever read anything by Loretta Chase... by the way, what's the full title of LoS?

    Kristie (J) - Hey Kristie :D I'm glad to see you around again :D yeah, the nickname was urgh... TMI for me, but I guess that'd what you'd expected from a guy that kiss and tell.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Zeek, Thanks! I love it. It's fitting, too. ;)

    Nath,

    HUNG SPOILERS BELOW!
    *
    *
    *
    *
    *
    *
    *
    *
    John's big thing was that as soon as he realized his dick was bigger than ALL the other guys, he had it made. So throughout the book there were constant references on his part to being HUNG. WTF? That got old after the first time. Sheesh.
    *
    *
    *
    *
    *
    *
    End Spoiler

    But I do like the rest of her books. For the most part. I think I've read all of them except one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh yeah, i seem to remember vaguely... ah well, not sure I'm going to even re-read this one...

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOS stand for Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase and 3 others of us have just read it recently. Even if you read more contemps than historicals, I agree with Mailyn - you simply MUST read it. Just ask Lori or Jennie or Sandie (grin)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Children only work in romance if they take up very little page time. And if they're cute-like Cal's nephew in Bet Me. That's a good example of cute kids in romance.
    But if the kid is trying to hook up the h/h, I hate that shit. Goes for teenagers too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kristie - thanx for the suggestion :D I'm definitively going to read it :D lucky me, there's a copy at the library... going to reserve it.

    Ames - I guess your reasons are valid :D I don't really mind kids or teenagers :D some are well fleshed out :D by the way, Cal had a nephew in Bet me? Really need to re-read that one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I liked this book. and then I didn't.

    I'm tired of the one night stand, don't see each other for six years, never found another one like the night they shared plot. And this was so that. Plus the secret baby plot. So that threw me off.

    But I enjoy Susan Anderson's work so the story still worked out good for me.

    ReplyDelete